Kevin Millar was born in Los Angeles, CA on September 24, 1971. This pseudo-cowboy wore #15 for the Sox, where he played first base for 3 seasons (2003-2005). He is currently a member of the Toronto Blue Jays.
El Bencho made his major league debut with the Florida Marlins, where he played two games in 1998. After four full seasons with the Marlins, his rights were sold to the Chunichi Dragons. The Red Sox, in an unprecedented move, claimed Millar off waivers before he made it to Japan. He was a key member, both off the field and on, of the 2003 and 2004 Red Sox teams. He has been credited with helping to bring a quiet, unfriendly Manny Ramirez out of his shell, and keeping the clubhouse unified. After his abortion of a season in 2005, he was signed as a free agent by the Baltimore Orioles. Plans to retire and move to Boston and milk the World Series win for all its worth.
Moment in the Sun
- Looked like a genius after delivering the following speech before Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS:
"Don't let us win tonight. This is a big game. They've got to win because if we win we've got Pedro coming back today and then Schilling will pitch Game 6 and then you can take that fraud stuff and put it to bed. Don't let the Sox win this game."
- Immediately reminded us of his idiocy after claiming on Best Damn Sports Show Period that the team had taken shots of Jack Daniels prior to Games 6 and 7 of the 2004 ALCS.
- Worked Mariano Rivera and Tom Gordon for two crucial walks late in Games 4 and 5, respectively, of the 2004 ALCS, both of which led to Dave Roberts scoring the tying run in each game.
- Three words: Rally Karaoke Guy
- Hit three home runs against the New York Yankees at Fenway Park on 7-23-04. Went 10 for 13 in that three game series with four HR.
- With a single against Mariona Rivera, became the tying run before Bill Mueller took Rivera deep on [7-24-04]
"I'm not going to be lied to. I'm not going to be lack-of-communicated to. I wasn't told I was on the bench. I didn't know that was the situation." (August 2004, not thrilled that he might have to share first base time with Doug Mientkiewicz)
- Brought redneck-speak to Boston with the unfortunate motto of the 2003 team: "Cowboy Up!"
- SoSH Nickname: Cabin Mirror.
- Mastered the ability to pull line drives into the seats down the LF line.
- Likes to hug....a lot
- Is barred from membership in the MLB Players Association after serving as a replacement player during the 1994 strike.
- Favorite movie is Fever Pitch because he got to be in it.
- Broke the hamate bone in his left hand in his first major league at-bat, sending him to the DL.
- Led the American League in being hit-by-pitch in 2004 with 17.
- Still loves the Red Sox more than his own team.
- September 20, 1993: Purchased by the Florida Marlins from the St Paul Saints (Indepenent League).
- December 21, 1997: Granted Free Agency.
- December 21, 1997: Signed as a Free Agent with the Florida Marlins.
- February 15, 2003: Purchased by the Boston Red Sox from the Florida Marlins.
- October 27, 2005: Granted Free Agency.
- January 13, 2006: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.
- Baseball-Reference.com - Career Statistics and Analysis