2014 NBA Draft Thread (No Spoilers You Clowns)

StuckOnYouk

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 26, 2006
3,551
CT
wade boggs chicken dinner said:
 
Me too.  Adding someone like Grant or McDaniel - two guys who don't need the ball, can hit a jumper and can play defense - would have helped the team much more than Napier.
Napier is going to be a beast for Miami. Kid is a great passer can dribble thru traffic hit 3's from anywhere on the court and while not a great defender will force turnovers. Oh and he always hit huge shots in the biggest moments. He probably knocked out 4 or 5 of the guys drafted tonight from march madness.
Really surprised how undervalued he is.
 

Greg29fan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
20,542
NC
wade boggs chicken dinner said:
 
I don't think people realized how athletic Diaw was when he came into the league.  For instance, he had (has?) a 40" vertical.
 
That's true, he just couldn't keep his conditioning.
 

wade boggs chicken dinner

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 26, 2005
31,984
StuckOnYouk said:
Napier is going to be a beast for Miami. Kid is a great passer can dribble thru traffic hit 3's from anywhere on the court and while not a great defender will force turnovers. Oh and he always hit huge shots in the biggest moments. He probably knocked out 4 or 5 of the guys drafted tonight from march madness.
Really surprised how undervalued he is.
 
Not saying he isn't a good player but just don't see where he fits with the Heat.  His passing ability will not have the impact because (assuming LBJ resigns) he's not going to have the ball that often and he isn't going to add anything defensively versus, say, Chalmers.  And it's one thing to hit big shots when you are the primary ballhandler; it's a completely different thing to stand in the corner and be a catch and shoot guy.
 
Sure he's an upgrade from Chalmers, but that's not why the Heat got beat by the Spurs.
 

RoDaddy

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jun 19, 2002
3,320
Albany area, NY
Here we go - round two. Should get a pretty good player here. There must be more centers from Turkey that Danny likes!
 

Bone Chips

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2009
736
South Windsor, CT
StuckOnYouk said:
Napier is going to be a beast for Miami. Kid is a great passer can dribble thru traffic hit 3's from anywhere on the court and while not a great defender will force turnovers. Oh and he always hit huge shots in the biggest moments. He probably knocked out 4 or 5 of the guys drafted tonight from march madness.
Really surprised how undervalued he is.
Couldn't agree more. He's one of those players you have to watch on a regular basis to appreciate just how great he is. It'll be interesting to see how the Heat integrates him into the mix, but I wouldn't bet against Napier figuring out how to be very successful at the next level. People have been underestimating him his whole life and all he does is keep proving everyone wrong. His attitude is going to be good for the Heat.
 

JohnnyTheBone

Member
SoSH Member
May 28, 2007
38,025
Nobody Cares
Hmm, so if the C's just stayed put last year and drafted Dieng at 16, we'd have our rim protector on the roster and we could have just drafted Cleanthony Early.  Olynyk better develop in a hurry, or that one can hurt for years to come.
 

TheDeuce222

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
387
So what about the earlier rumors of the Celts buying a second rounder or trading back into the second round for a pick?  There are still some players who could help out there.  What about a big like Khem Birch or even a draft and stash like Artem Klimenko?  Total homer call here as a UVA fan, but Akil Mitchell is worth a look in this last few picks here, as well as possibly as a camp/summer league invite.  Will never be a scorer in the NBA, but a really nice, instinctive defensive player at the 4, can do all the little things, great rebounder.  Would definitely prefer somebody like Birch though.
 
Looks like the Lakers just bought one and picked up Jordan Clarkson via Washington according to Woj.  That is a nice pick for them. 
 

mabrowndog

Ask me about total zone...or paint
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 23, 2003
39,676
Falmouth, MA
How the hell did Chad Ford not have Cameron Bairstow in his Top 100? That's an egregious omission. The Bulls nab him at #49.
 

Cellar-Door

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2006
35,734
TheDeuce222 said:
So what about the earlier rumors of the Celts buying a second rounder or trading back into the second round for a pick?  There are still some players who could help out there.  What about a big like Khem Birch or even a draft and stash like Artem Klimenko?  Total homer call here as a UVA fan, but Akil Mitchell is worth a look in this last few picks here, as well as possibly as a camp/summer league invite.  Will never be a scorer in the NBA, but a really nice, instinctive defensive player at the 4, can do all the little things, great rebounder.  Would definitely prefer somebody like Birch though.
 
Looks like the Lakers just bought one and picked up Jordan Clarkson via Washington according to Woj.  That is a nice pick for them. 
Not sure the Celtics have much cash left to trade. You only get $3M per season under the new CBA.
 

TheDeuce222

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
387
Cellar-Door said:
Not sure the Celtics have much cash left to trade. You only get $3M per season under the new CBA.
I thought I read somewhere that the Celts still had $1.3 million out of the 3 to put into a trade (more than BK paid Minny for the Markel Brown pick), but I can't find the tweet or post anywhere though...
 

TheDeuce222

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
387
jp9183 said:
Wyc said we had 1.4 mil to deal on 98.5 after the Smart pick 
That's what it was.  Thanks jp9183.  Too late now - the 76ers bought the second round.  I suppose we will have plenty of picks in the 25-45 range next year with the Clippers 1st rounder, likely the Sixers second rounder cause it certainly doesn't look like they're making the playoffs now, and our own second rounder.
 

Infield Infidel

teaching korea american
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
11,463
Meeting Place, Canada
mabrowndog said:
This Tavares kid is a beast.
Cabo Verde represent!
 
There's a sizable Cape Verdean contingent in Atlanta. Not Boston, but pretty large.
 
his story is interesting
 
 
 
Tavares' story is one of the more unique ones of the night. In 2009 while working at a store in Cape Verde, the big man was discovered by a tourist, who referred Tavares back to employees at Gran Canaria in Spain, the ACB league team the center currently plays for. Tavares has developed quickly, considering that the first time he picked up a basketball was five years ago.
 

bbc23

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 6, 2009
997
This is the 1st draft I really can't find any surprises of guys who didn't get drafted in a long time, which is surprising considering how loaded it was, unless you want to consider Patric Young a surprise.
 

Cellar-Door

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2006
35,734
bbc23 said:
This is the 1st draft I really can't find any surprises of guys who didn't get drafted in a long time, which is surprising considering how loaded it was, unless you want to consider Patric Young a surprise.
Young and Bachynski are the only ones that surprised me a little.
 

HomeRunBaker

bet squelcher
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2004
31,288
bbc23 said:
This is the 1st draft I really can't find any surprises of guys who didn't get drafted in a long time, which is surprising considering how loaded it was, unless you want to consider Patric Young a surprise.
James Michael McAdoo.

From lottery pick had he came out two years ago to UFA without any injury concerns. That's like really hard to do.
 

HomeRunBaker

bet squelcher
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2004
31,288
Greg29fan said:
Kyle Anderson is like another Boris Diaw
Diaw is a really good defender. People are going to be surprised to see just how bad a defender Anderson is. Popovich is going to need a ton of patience with this kid who will struggle keeping anyone in front of him.
 

radsoxfan

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 9, 2009
14,141
HomeRunBaker said:
Diaw is a really good defender. People are going to be surprised to see just how bad a defender Anderson is. Popovich is going to need a ton of patience with this kid who will struggle keeping anyone in front of him.
 
 
If Kyle Anderson can survive in the NBA, I can't wait to see it. 
 
I think there s a decent chance I am a better athlete than he is. Thats a very bad sign for his NBA prospects. 
 

bbc23

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 6, 2009
997
HomeRunBaker said:
James Michael McAdoo.

From lottery pick had he came out two years ago to UFA without any injury concerns. That's like really hard to do.
Myck Kabongo managed to tank his stock from lotto pick to undrafted in just last year in one year, although I did misunderstand you when I 1st typed the comment and agree that that is very hard to do in the NBA.
 

Kliq

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 31, 2013
23,371
So, who could the Celtics look at for UFA? Personally, I would love to see them take a look at Jordan Bachynski. Yes he is going to be 25 years old, but the biggest need for the Celtics right now is rim protection, and Bachynski was the best rim protector in the NCAA last year. He is 7'2" with a 7'4" wingspan, and averaged 4 blocks per game last year for ASU. He also was a fairly competent offensive player, averaging 11.5 ppg and shooting 55% from the floor and 70% from the line. I can see him coming in and giving the Celtics a really solid 10-15 mpg off the bench.
 

moondog80

heart is two sizes two small
SoSH Member
Sep 20, 2005
8,425
Remagellan said:
Front page of today's Philly Daily News:
 
https://twitter.com/PhillyDailyNews/status/482374006222630912/photo/1
 
The Sixers draft was like getting a big US savings bond for your 10th birthday.  It may be valuable someday, but at the moment it's hard to get excited about it.  
You know what I'm thrilled about if I'm Philly? Orlando's 2017 first rd pick. Who knows what it will be, but the cost was moving down only two spots in the draft and still getting the player they wanted. That's something for nothing.