This is the exact thing they need, and even need is probably overstating it.
Just could use a guy that can give you 5ish minutes a half if Hauser isn't up to it. Just have to give Tatum/Brown a tiny bit of rest so they don't have play a full half. Some nights they'll be able to get away with just giving the guards/bigs more minutes, but some nights they just might need a 6'7" guy to fill in.
I think you need 9 guys for your playoff rotation, and a couple of them will play sparingly and sometimes not at all.
You need 3 guards. Smart, White, Brogdon is a check. Having Pritchard out of the rotation as depth is a huge bonus.
You need 3 bigs. Rob, Al, Grant is a check. Having Kornet out of the rotation as depth is a smaller bonus.
You need 3 wings. Tatum, Brown and Hauser is maybe a check? Having nobody out of the rotation as depth could be an issue.
That third wing is the 9th of the 9-man rotation, so it's not a glaring issue, but it's their biggest issue.
I don't think they even need to trade for a guy that can fill that spot. Just sign a buyout guy, or a guy not in the league right now(maybe Mo Harkless?). Just a veteran who knows who he is, and what his role is.
The Celtics have the best CORE8
in the NBA. Asking for a 9th player at Poeltl's level would be a luxury.
I really expect Brad to just wade into the buyout market to finish off the roster, not expecting a trade
BUT since Shams rumored it, this is why Brad might want to add Poeltl:
1. Creates not only TL injury insurance but insurance throughout the CORE8. Any player could go down (outside of the JAYs) and they'd still be a heavy contender
2. It sacrifices PP/Luke/Hauser minutes, makes them available in the trade
3. It load manages/reduces reg season minutes for the CORE8 for the remainder of the regular season
4. It lets every player guard down and puts Horford in a position where he has excelled
5. More formidable defensive unit, especially against teams like Milwaukee, Phila or Memphis.
6. Gives Joe more flexibility for in-game matchups
7. Extreme GFIN mode - there is no real dominant team in the NBA
Here is a very rough, back-of-the-envelope outline
of regular season minutes allocation w/ Poeltl
Obviously, it would change in the playoffs, with injuries, back-to-backs, Game7s, and match-ups.
TL 26mpg / Poeltl 20mpg / Horford 2mpg
: Horford 23mpg / Grant 22mpg / Tatum 3mpg
: Tatum 31mpg / Brown 17mpg
: Brown 17mpg/ White 26mpg / Smart 5mpg
: Smart 24mpg / Brogdon 24mpg