Dougie Hamilton traded to Calgary - signed for 6 x $5.75

Smiling Joe Hesketh

All Hail King Boron
Dope
May 20, 2003
31,326
Deep inside Muppet Labs
The Four Peters said:
I am fucking stunned. On what planet is this better than signing Dougie or just allowing him to be offer sheeted? They had ALL the leverage and used it to get a 50% return.
 
This is disgusting.
 
I'm catching up on this now.
 
What could possibly be the argument for trading a 22 year old stud defenseman who's only an RFA? For picks?
 
I....I just don't get it.
 

j44thor

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2006
9,490
So Lehner + shedding a bad contract = 21st overall
Douggie = 15th and a couple 2nds aka Brett Connelly
 
One of these things is not like the other.
 
Would have been better off letting Douggie play under the QO and trading him at the next deadline.
Guaranteed you are getting a top prospect and a #1 for him at the deadline.
 
Agreed worst trade in Boston history.
 

Fred not Lynn

Dick Button Jr.
SoSH Member
Jul 13, 2005
4,756
Alberta
after reading this thread, I think I am going to have to go turn on Calgary sports talk radio. Human nature being what it is, they're probably being flooded with irate callers...
 

Blacken

Robespierre in a Cape
SoSH Member
Jul 24, 2007
12,144
Smiling Joe Hesketh said:
I'm catching up on this now.
 
What could possibly be the argument for trading a 22 year old stud defenseman who's only an RFA? For picks?
 
I....I just don't get it.
You used to get so mad about Tim Thomas and this is your response to this.
 

TFP

Tweedydee
Dope
Dec 10, 2007
18,602
Fred not Lynn said:
after reading this thread, I think I am going to have to go turn on Calgary sports talk radio. Human nature being what it is, they're probably being flooded with irate callers...
Please report back because that would stun me.
 

NHbeau

hates latinos/bay staters
SoSH Member
Nov 10, 2006
660
Lowest level of hell.
 Every once in a while a franchise lucks into a situation like dropping a mercurial malcontent and add's a better player because of it. Once every 10-20 years they somehow finagle two franchise players out of it. Never before has someone been flat out dumb enough to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by dumping both franchise players for flotsam and jetsam. I was wrong about Chiarelli. He wasn't the problem, just a symptom of the disease that is this franchise. Quebec can't get a team soon enough for me.
 

The Napkin

wise ass al kaprielian
Dope
SoSH Member
Jul 13, 2002
22,679
right here
I've always had a bit of love for the Flames (they're my 10:00 go to game) and one of my bucket list things is a trip out there to catch a game. I look every year to see when the B's are out there and ponder if this is the year to go. Maybe I should just go to see the Flames period.
 

Revkeith

lurker
Apr 23, 2010
446
Is there any chance of relocating this current franchise to Seattle, and getting an expansion team in Boston?
 

Revkeith

lurker
Apr 23, 2010
446
The Napkin said:
I've always had a bit of love for the Flames (they're my 10:00 go to game) and one of my bucket list things is a trip out there to catch a game. I look every year to see when the B's are out there and ponder if this is the year to go. Maybe I should just go to see the Flames period.
 
I've been several times. Both Calgary and Vancouver are great. The atmosphere is electric. 
 

TFP

Tweedydee
Dope
Dec 10, 2007
18,602
The Napkin said:
I've always had a bit of love for the Flames (they're my 10:00 go to game) and one of my bucket list things is a trip out there to catch a game. I look every year to see when the B's are out there and ponder if this is the year to go. Maybe I should just go to see the Flames period.
I'm in. I was just saying the same thing, I love their team.
 

Fred not Lynn

Dick Button Jr.
SoSH Member
Jul 13, 2005
4,756
Alberta
Flames became a really fun team to watch again this year, and while this sounds odd, McDavid going to Edmonton is going to help them too...I think you need that regular season rivalry/playoff feeling to be in a place to make a real run, and Calgary needs a more worthy rival than Edmonton has been lately.
 

The Napkin

wise ass al kaprielian
Dope
SoSH Member
Jul 13, 2002
22,679
right here
The Four Peters said:
I'm in. I was just saying the same thing, I love their team.
B's are the week after Thanksgiving this year so not the best timing but I'd seriously be interested in a random trip out there. There any good courses in Calgary that are playable in Oct?
 
FnL can hook us up right? :)
 

veritas

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 13, 2009
3,024
Somerville, MA
Calgary is pretty stacked on D right now. I don't think anyone else in the league can match their top 3. And with all their young talent up front, they should be a fun team to watch for a while.
 

j44thor

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2006
9,490
Revkeith said:
Is there any chance of relocating this current franchise to Seattle, and getting an expansion team in Boston?
 
Just think of all the bad decisions this FO could make if they had a clean slate and no salaries on the books.
They likely wouldn't draft anyone under 32.
 

mcpickl

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 23, 2007
3,340
I preferred having Jay Feaster running the Flames.
 
This never would've happened.
 

The Mort Report

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 5, 2007
1,599
Winter Hill
Soooo I'm going to try to reason why they took this deal instead of letting him walk via offer sheet or sign him.  DEEP BREATH.....
 
The FO viewed this draft class as deeper than the next 2, and see talent in the second round this year that would be normally be first rounders.  So this deal secures 3 players they view most years will be first rounders.  Also if Dougie signed with one of the best teams in the league both those firsts could be high 20's.  As for Dougie himself sure he is a great young player, but may not view him as worth using that much of the cap on a single player that isnt yet a bonafided superstar.  Its one of the reasons the team is in the position it is now with deals like Krejci, an above average player paid like a superstar...
 
Now excuse me while I go put my goalie pads so you all can throw pucks at me
 

Zososoxfan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 30, 2009
6,155
South of North
Just get it over with already and trade Tuukka, Bergy, Krejci, and apply for admission the AHL. This is an utter joke. There's literally no defense of this move. And McQuaid. I'm blinded by anger right now.
 

j44thor

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2006
9,490
Might be a good time to let everyone in the Boston area know that Stoddards still has BCBS 2013 on tap.  I'll be having a couple shortly in hopes of forgetting today.
 

Toe Nash

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 28, 2005
4,682
02130
The only explanation is that they don't think Dougie is very good. My guess is because he doesn't have toughness or grit or whatever like McQuaid does (I'm serious). 
 
But even then, they didn't need to trade him today or for that return. You need to gauge his value around the league which I have to imagine is pretty high and do a better job shopping him. If Mirtle's tweet is right, that's just malpractice.
 
The problem is that Bergeron and Rask are too good for the team to really bottom out as long as they are around. They're going to miss the playoffs but not have a top 5 pick without trading up. Stuck in the no-man's land. I won't be watching.
 

j44thor

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2006
9,490
The Mort Report said:
Soooo I'm going to try to reason why they took this deal instead of letting him walk via offer sheet or sign him.  DEEP BREATH.....
 
The FO viewed this draft class as deeper than the next 2, and see talent in the second round this year that would be normally be first rounders.  So this deal secures 3 players they view most years will be first rounders.  Also if Dougie signed with one of the best teams in the league both those firsts could be high 20's.  As for Dougie himself sure he is a great young player, but may not view him as worth using that much of the cap on a single player that isnt yet a bonafided superstar.  Its one of the reasons the team is in the position it is now with deals like Krejci, an above average player paid like a superstar...
 
Now excuse me while I go put my goalie pads so you all can throw pucks at me
 
Superstars get 8-10+M, Douggie wasn't looking for that kind of money.  He was looking for exactly what young upcoming D make.  His stats age-wise compare very favorably to every elite D currently in the NHL.  Signing him to a max contract at non-superstar $$ was the best thing this organization could have done.  His floor is a top 2 D.  You don't give those types away for a 3 draft picks outside the top 10.
 

ivanvamp

captain obvious
Jul 18, 2005
6,104
I don't know as much about hockey as most of you guys here, but my understanding was that Hamilton was one of the best young defensemen in the game.  And they trade him away for a marginal return?  What gives, besides stupidity?
 

The Mort Report

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 5, 2007
1,599
Winter Hill
j44thor said:
 
Superstars get 8-10+M, Douggie wasn't looking for that kind of money.  He was looking for exactly what young upcoming D make.  His stats age-wise compare very favorably to every elite D currently in the NHL.  Signing him to a max contract at non-superstar $$ was the best thing this organization could have done.  His floor is a top 2 D.  You don't give those types away for a 3 draft picks outside the top
 
Sorry I should have pointed out that I hate the deal and believe we should have gotten much more for him.  I was just trying to rationalize to maintain my sanity 
 

MarcSullivaFan

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 21, 2005
3,412
Hoo-hoo-hoo hoosier land.
I preface this by saying that I am a casual fan, and that I think this was an idiotic move.

Is possible that they are planning on being active in free agency, weren't planning on keeping him, and wanted to get his situation out of the way so they didn't have to wait to go after whoever else? I'm not suggesting that that's sound reasoning--I'm just wondering if you guys think that's a plausible explanation for a move that seems entirely inexplicable.
 

SoxFanInPdx

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
2,602
Portland, OR
There has to be something else. Only shred of understanding I have. Pieces to move up in the draft? Having a real difficult time understanding this after my shock and pissed off phase is winding down.
 

jk333

Member
SoSH Member
Feb 26, 2009
2,432
Boston
MarcSullivaFan said:
I preface this by saying that I am a casual fan, and that I think this was an idiotic move.

Is possible that they are planning on being active in free agency, weren't planning on keeping him, and wanted to get his situation out of the way so they didn't have to wait to go after whoever else? I'm not suggesting that that's sound reasoning--I'm just wondering if you guys think that's a plausible explanation for a move that seems entirely inexplicable.
This is one of the only possible explanations. But with Mcquaids terrible contract, it seems like they value grit much more than skill. It looks like Neely and Sweeney were the ones signing Campbell and trading Seguin not Chia.
 

Myt1

Tweedydum
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Mar 13, 2006
30,372
South Boston
If two seemingly linked indefensible roster moves were made almost simultaneously, which thread would you put most of your rage in? Asking for a friend.
 

RIFan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
2,246
Blackstone MA
Myt1 said:
If two seemingly linked indefensible roster moves were made almost simultaneously, which thread would you put most of your rage in? Asking for a friend.
Lucic trade: Defendable
McQuaid Deal: Undefendable
Hamilton trade: Totally preposterous. 
 

Jettisoned

Member
SoSH Member
May 6, 2008
977
I don't think Chiarelli would have made this trade.  If you watch the Behind the B episode where they're discussing a Seguin trade, Chiarelli is basically the only guy in the room even considering keeping Seguin.  In addition, Sweeney and Neely both come off like complete idiots in the clip.