Lavarnway DFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RG33

Potty Mouth
Gold Supporter
SoSH Member
Nov 28, 2005
4,694
CA
I think his .201/.249/.315 slash line in 301 PAs would be better described as "at most" he deserves this thread.
 

inJacobyWeTrust

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 12, 2007
1,002
Watertown
I can't help but think of the 2011 collapse, and how Lavarnway was almost able to drag that bunch into the playoffs with his bat in the last series against Baltimore.  I wonder how differently things would've played out had they backed into the playoffs and he was able to put up some good postseason numbers.
 
Edit: my memory may have failed me, he was 0-5 in game 162, but I guess I was remembering his 2-4, 2 HR performance in game 161.
 

C4CRVT

Member
SoSH Member
Feb 29, 2008
3,076
Heart of the Green Mountains
Added to the list of former Red Sox prospects that I had hope for based on (in this case) great minor leage OBP numbers.
 
Best of luck Ryan. Hope he catches on somewhere and takes advantage.
 

mauf

Anderson Cooper × Mr. Rogers
Staff member
Dope
I'll always wonder what might have been if the Sox had told him after the 2012 season to give up on catching and sent him to winter ball with a first baseman's mitt. He was always a guy whose bat would have to carry his glove; maybe his bat wouldn't have gone to hell if he hadn't spent so much time working on his defense behind the dish.
 

RoDaddy

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jun 19, 2002
2,617
Albany area, NY
I thought he was going to be our cleanup hitter in Boston for the next 10 years!  The weird thing about Lavarnway's demise was the sudden loss of power - from 32 dingers in 2011 including AAA to single digits
 

joe dokes

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
20,070
RoDaddy said:
I thought he was going to be our cleanup hitter in Boston for the next 10 years!  The weird thing about Lavarnway's demise was the sudden loss of power - from 32 dingers in 2011 including AAA to single digits
 
Maybe his bubbie stopped using the special noodles in the kugel.
 

Trautwein's Degree

a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 20, 2005
11,977
My Desk
inJacobyWeTrust said:
I can't help but think of the 2011 collapse, and how Lavarnway was almost able to drag that bunch into the playoffs with his bat in the last series against Baltimore.  I wonder how differently things would've played out had they backed into the playoffs and he was able to put up some good postseason numbers.
 
Edit: my memory may have failed me, he was 0-5 in game 162, but I guess I was remembering his 2-4, 2 HR performance in game 161.
And Tito's insane decision to bat Lavarnway 5th in game 162. He was 0 for 5 and stranded 9 guys. Good thing he has a Yale degree to fall back on.
 

Brohamer of the Gods

Well-Known Member
Silver Supporter
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
2,604
Warwick, RI
shepard50 said:
Is it not possible that they simply outright Lavarnway back to Pawtucket? Why are we assuming that he is gone - I am genuinely asking.
He could well end up back in Pawtucket but he has to clear waivers first. He isn't just being sent down, he has been taken off the 40 man.
 

Mike F

Mayor of Fort Myers
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 13, 2000
2,068
Brohamer of the Gods said:
I've got one of these, did its value just go up or down?

Up but only if you have a matching Craig Breslow poster.

 

Sprowl

mikey lowell of the sandbox
Dope
Jun 27, 2006
32,790
Haiku
inJacobyWeTrust said:
I can't help but think of the 2011 collapse, and how Lavarnway was almost able to drag that bunch into the playoffs with his bat in the last series against Baltimore.  I wonder how differently things would've played out had they backed into the playoffs and he was able to put up some good postseason numbers.
 
Edit: my memory may have failed me, he was 0-5 in game 162, but I guess I was remembering his 2-4, 2 HR performance in game 161.
 
Lavarnway hit his two dingers off a LHP in game 161. Tito tried to ride the hot hand, but that meant leaving Lavarnway in against a RHP, and Lavarnway proved vulnerable to Showalter's RH relievers. It was one of Tito's worst lineups, and Showalter toyed with it.
 
Then Lavarnway lost some weight during the offseason in an effort to become a better defensive catcher, and all he had left by 2013 was warning track power.
 
Bye Bye Bulldog    :unsure2:
 

HomeRunBaker

bet squelcher
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2004
20,374
maufman said:
I'll always wonder what might have been if the Sox had told him after the 2012 season to give up on catching and sent him to winter ball with a first baseman's mitt. He was always a guy whose bat would have to carry his glove; maybe his bat wouldn't have gone to hell if he hadn't spent so much time working on his defense behind the dish.
I saw Ryan several times at McCoy the past two summers. It's safe to say the book on him is now out as the way he chased more down and away sliders made WMB look like Bellhorn at the dish.

This Sprite's for you Ryan!
 

Plympton91

bubble burster
SoSH Member
Oct 19, 2008
12,408
It would be interesting to go back to 2011 and see what people were saying his "floor" was. I had him as my #1 prospect at one point. There are no guarantees with any kid in AAA, no matter what numbers they put up.
 

Bigpupp

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 8, 2008
2,000
New Mexico
Plympton91 said:
It would be interesting to go back to 2011 and see what people were saying his "floor" was. I had him as my #1 prospect at one point. There are no guarantees with any kid in AAA, no matter what numbers they put up.
His best ranking by SoxProspects was 5th in April of 2012. Pretty sure his floor was always pretty low though. If he didn't catch he wasn't going to be very effective.
 

derekson

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 26, 2010
4,399
Brohamer of the Gods said:
I've got one of these, did its value just go up or down?

 
Why does "generic Lego" Lavarnway have a red thong on over his uniform pants?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.