Patriots 2014 Opponents announced (AFC West/NFC North)

rslm

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
212
Cincinnati, OH
Gotta cross Lambeau off the bucket list. Hope that one's earlier in the season before it's frigid in Green Bay.
 

Leather

given himself a skunk spot
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
25,991
Keep in mind the Minnesota game will be outdoors at the University of Minnesota stadium.
 
And I will be there.
 

Al Zarilla

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2005
51,570
San Andreas Fault
drleather2001 said:
Keep in mind the Minnesota game will be outdoors at the University of Minnesota stadium.
 
And I will be there.
I assume that's an interim thing while a new stadium is being built for the Vikings? Domed or not domed?
 

shoosh77

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 19, 2009
3,453
New Canaan, CT
I've been taking my oldest (now 8) the last couple years to home games to see potential HOF's on away teams.  Did Larry Fitz last year, Drew Brees this year.  Might have to up the budget for Broncos at home, and Minny on the road.  Also looking at that Green Bay game for the bucket list, as mentioned above.
 

Leather

given himself a skunk spot
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
25,991
Al Zarilla said:
I assume that's an interim thing while a new stadium is being built for the Vikings? Domed or not domed?
 
Domed.

 
And prowed.
 
 

Kliq

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 31, 2013
12,395
At least this year the league didn't have to squeeze Denver in there, saddled us with CIN and IND instead.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
40,787
Kliq said:
At least this year the league didn't have to squeeze Denver in there, saddled us with CIN and IND instead.
 
Am I missing something? Denver is on the schedule.
 

Leather

given himself a skunk spot
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
25,991
E5 Yaz said:
Is that Minn stadium near Target Field at all?
 
The new one?  It's on the other side of downtown, which will be either a 20 minute walk through the skyways/on the streets, or a 6 minute ride on the lightrail.
 

Kliq

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 31, 2013
12,395
DrewDawg said:
 
Am I missing something? Denver is on the schedule.
 
Super Nomario said:
 
Should have clarified. Every year the NFL makes the Pats play Manning (even when he was on Indy). For the two games that do not involve the AFC East or the other two divisions that we have to play, you could bank on one of those games being against Manning. This year they didn't have to do that because the division cycle made it so that they don't have to go out of there way to scheulde the Pats against Denver.
 

mpx42

lurker
Apr 23, 2010
2,684
Seattle, WA
That's not how it works at all...the Patriots would always play the Colts because both teams always won their divisions every year.
 

Euclis20

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 3, 2004
3,183
Imaginationland
Kliq said:
 
 
Should have clarified. Every year the NFL makes the Pats play Manning (even when he was on Indy). For the two games that do not involve the AFC East or the other two divisions that we have to play, you could bank on one of those games being against Manning. This year they didn't have to do that because the division cycle made it so that they don't have to go out of there way to scheulde the Pats against Denver.
 
The NFL doesn't "make" the Pats play Manning every year.  They play every year because 1st place teams always play the other 1st place teams in the conference, 2nd place teams always play 2nd place teams, etc etc.  Manning's Colts (now Broncos) and Brady's Patriots almost always won their respective divisions, so they almost always played in the regular season. 
 
*edit-Not the hardest or easiest schedule.  The ACF west is a tough division to draw, but the NFC north doesn't exactly have any world-beaters (although a healthy Rodgers might change that).  Likely that only 7/16 games will be against playoff teams (only 5, if Miami doesn't make it), and an overall record of 103-105-2, or .495. 
 

JerBear

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 11, 2006
1,365
Turner, ME
Kliq said:
 
 
Should have clarified. Every year the NFL makes the Pats play Manning (even when he was on Indy). For the two games that do not involve the AFC East or the other two divisions that we have to play, you could bank on one of those games being against Manning. This year they didn't have to do that because the division cycle made it so that they don't have to go out of there way to scheulde the Pats against Denver.
The schedule is completely set by formula.  You play 6 games in division, 4 games against a complete in conference division, 4 games against a complete out of conference division, and the remaining 2 games against the in conference division teams with the same position in the division as you did in the previous year. Brady/Manning is because they were always the number 1 team in their division so it didn't matter what other division they were playing.
 

Kliq

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 31, 2013
12,395
JerBear said:
The schedule is completely set by formula.  You play 6 games in division, 4 games against a complete in conference division, 4 games against a complete out of conference division, and the remaining 2 games against the in conference division teams with the same position in the division as you did in the previous year. Brady/Manning is because they were always the number 1 team in their division so it didn't matter what other division they were playing.
 
Okay, my bad. I read in an SI article about a month ago that Brady and Manning had faced each other an abnormal amount of times, but I was unaware of the division champion formula. Thanks, for clarifying.
 

ivanvamp

captain obvious
Jul 18, 2005
6,104
norm from cheers said:
Home
Bills
Dolphins
Jets
Broncos
Bears
Bengals
Lions
Raiders

Away
Bills
Dolphins
Jets
Chargers
Chiefs
Colts
Packers
Vikings
 
I am definitely going to the KC Chiefs game... While a lot can happen over the course of a year, but this looks like a pretty tough road schedule.. 
 
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4755928/patriots-2014-opponents-set
 
Seriously, not that I'm complaining, but how come they keep getting Denver at home?  How do they decide these things?  
 
Note:  This isn't a question about why NE plays Denver.  It's about why NE keeps getting Denver in New England.  How do they decide who plays *where*?
 

mpx42

lurker
Apr 23, 2010
2,684
Seattle, WA
ivanvamp said:
 
Seriously, not that I'm complaining, but how come they keep getting Denver at home?  How do they decide these things?  
 
Note:  This isn't a question about why NE plays Denver.  It's about why NE keeps getting Denver in New England.  How do they decide who plays *where*?
 
It's on a rotating three-year schedule. In 2015-17, all games between the two teams will be in Denver.
 
Or to explain it better: in 2017 the Patriots are scheduled to play the Broncos on the road, and in 2015 and 16 AFC West teams are scheduled to host AFC East teams that finish in the same divisional ranking they do. That home/away designation flips every three years.
 

MJM2344

lurker
Apr 23, 2010
1,215
Green Bay, Denver, Indy, Jets? for primetime games? Wonder if they'll play on Thanksgiving in Detroit again this year, or maybe in 2015 in Dallas.  
 

Domer

Member
SoSH Member
Apr 21, 2010
3,665
02148
Green Bay, Denver, Indy, Jets? for primetime games? Wonder if they'll play on Thanksgiving in Detroit again this year, or maybe in 2015 in Dallas.  

The Lions game is in Foxboro next year. Their Thanksgiving game will almost certainly be the Dolphins. (Bills are the only other option for CBS.)
 

Byrdbrain

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
8,588
ivanvamp said:
 
Seriously, not that I'm complaining, but how come they keep getting Denver at home?  How do they decide these things?  
 
Note:  This isn't a question about why NE plays Denver.  It's about why NE keeps getting Denver in New England.  How do they decide who plays *where*?
Tom Jackson would like to know the same thing not that he is saying anything funny is going on but it sure seems funny doesn't it.
 

snowmanny

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2005
11,184
Pats had to go to Indianapolis three years in a row when Manning was there (2007-9).
 

PseuFighter

Silent scenester
SoSH Member
Dec 22, 2003
13,259
11211
keep thinking patriots/packers will be the evening thanksgiving game, but i'm probably wrong.
 
anyway, i'm about 90% sure i'll be at that game. looks like a lot of others will be making that trip too.
 

NoXInNixon

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 24, 2008
4,314
shoosh77 said:
I've been taking my oldest (now 8) the last couple years to home games to see potential HOF's on away teams.  Did Larry Fitz last year, Drew Brees this year.  Might have to up the budget for Broncos at home, and Minny on the road.  Also looking at that Green Bay game for the bucket list, as mentioned above.
I would think HOF bucket player for next year would be Megatron, wouldn't it?
 

Corsi

isn't shy about blowing his wad early
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 3, 2010
12,955
Boston, MA
drleather2001 said:
When is the actual schedule released?
 
Usually mid-April, but it could be later with the draft being moved back this year.
 

54thMA

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 15, 2012
6,463
Westwood MA
The Vikings should have sacked up and built an outdoor stadium for the Vikings, they had one of the best HFA's at the old Met in Bloomington.  They were virtually unbeatable in the playoffs there from the late 60's to the mid 70's, having a very good team helped, but they had a huge advantage over teams like the Rams who'd come there and soil themselves in those frigid conditions.
 

Al Zarilla

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2005
51,570
San Andreas Fault
54thMA said:
The Vikings should have sacked up and built an outdoor stadium for the Vikings, they had one of the best HFA's at the old Met in Bloomington.  They were virtually unbeatable in the playoffs there from the late 60's to the mid 70's, having a very good team helped, but they had a huge advantage over teams like the Rams who'd come there and soil themselves in those frigid conditions.
If the Packers can play outside...Patriots, Giants, Eagles, Bills, etc..
 
Remember Tarkenton running on ice and snow keeping away from defenders for what seemed like a half a minute. That was fun.