Report: A-Rod banned through 2014?

Reverend

for king and country
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 20, 2007
57,474
Hoplite said:
 
People actually expected him to testify under oath? I thought it was pretty obvious that these lawsuits were a farce.
 
As a couple of people mentioned up thread, this would have been my thinking years ago before we saw players beat federal cases being pursued by committed prosecutors and lie under oath to Congress and stuff.
 

terrynever

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Aug 25, 2005
21,488
pawtucket
Maybe he just realized how much money his lawyers are charging and how much he has left. Road is now clear for 2015. Do Yanks just give him the remaining $61M and cut him loose? Hope so.

All the retired PEDs players should form a barnstorming team and tour the country, playing games in small towns. Manny, Alex, Sosa, Palmeiro, Clemens, et al. Might be redemptive. They're not criminals. They just cheated.
 

Hoplite

lurker
Oct 26, 2013
1,116
Reverend said:
 
As a couple of people mentioned up thread, this would have been my thinking years ago before we saw players beat federal cases being pursued by committed prosecutors and lie under oath to Congress and stuff.
 
I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like there's a lot more documentation of A-Rod's PED use than there was of other players like Clemens. If A-Rod was to lie under oath an be convicted of perjury, he'd also risk losing out on the $60 million or so left on his contract. And more PED use may come to light than we already know about. I think he'd have a lot more to lose than he would stand to gain by going through with these lawsuits.
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
20,121
Miami (oh, Miami!)
Reverend said:
 
As a couple of people mentioned up thread, this would have been my thinking years ago before we saw players beat federal cases being pursued by committed prosecutors and lie under oath to Congress and stuff.
 
It's not just the potential criminal liability that's at stake.  There are three related issues.  One was the arb hearing itself, Two are/were the civil suits, and Three is any potential criminal liability that arises from them or from the testimony they generate.
 
If Arod testified at the arb hearing, it would likely have been disastrous for him for all three fronts. Additionally, in a civil suit you can basically go after anything in discovery that might reasonably lead to admissible evidence.  If ARod were deposed (testimony under oath), vis a vis the civil suits, it would also have been a nightmare for him.  
 
There's also the possibility of MLB counter-suing and/or seeking attorney's fees and costs.   Plus the PR hit.  
 
**
While perjury charges can arise from purely civil actions, it's very rare.  
 

terrisus

formerly: imgran
SoSH Member
terrynever said:
Maybe he just realized how much money his lawyers are charging and how much he has left. 
 
How much he has left? Given that he's earned over $350 million during the course of his career, unless he's been using burning $100 bills to keep his house warm in the winter, I would imagine he has plenty left.
 
Now, if what it was costing him would be worth what he would be getting back by winning, that's a different matter.
 

Reverend

for king and country
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 20, 2007
57,474
As much as anything, i meant more that some of these guys really are brazen maniacs.
 

terrisus

formerly: imgran
SoSH Member
ARod the Owner?
 
 
According to sources familiar with the proceedings, Rodriguez had in recent days made contact with Major League Baseball COO Rob Manfred, who spearheaded baseball's Biogenesis investigation that resulted in the suspensions of 13 players, in the hopes of repairing relations with the sport.
 
...
 
According to sources, Rodriguez hopes to pursue a career in broadcasting or even partial team ownership after his retirement and feared a protracted legal fight might cause him to be, in the words of a source, "blackballed" by baseball.
 

glennhoffmania

a 20 on all 5
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,409,830
NY
This is fantastic.
 
 
When Alex Rodriguez was lambasting baseball's powers and his own bosses with the Yankees --suing his Yankees doctor, criticizing beloved late union chief Michael Weiner in court papers and at one point reportedly even leaking damaging information about Ryan Braun and teammate Francisco Cervelli --folks around baseball were speculating that A-Rod's only remaining friends may be his own lawyers.
 
Now even some of them presumably don't like him much.
 
A-Rod has refused to pay a large part of his legal bill, sources said, confirming a report in the New York Daily News.
 
Those sources estimate that he has refused to pay about $3 million out of an estimated $5 million or more in legal fees. Those sources further say he has refused to even return phone calls on the matter, making it clear he has no interest in paying.
 
Beyond the fact that $3 million is a pittance to him -- he is said to have a lot of money keft, plus $61 million more to come from the Yankees -- if he tries claiming malpractice, his lawyer-client privilege will be waived, with the possibility of damaging testimony becoming public. Perhaps at this point A-Rod believes his rep is so bad that he can't be harmed, and he only has his money left.
 
 

joe dokes

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
27,353
glennhoffmania said:
This is fantastic.
 
ARod's a dick, but anyone could see that and should have planned accordingly.  But the lawyers who are owed the money screwed up, too. (NOT in a malpractice sort of way). *No* lawyer lets a bill like that accrue without getting the client to add to his retainer.  Chasing money is the surest route to getting sued for malpractice. The lawyer could have done the greatest job in history and still lose. The chances of getting stiffed increase exponentially after that. And there are many, many lawyers who will just say fuck it and get a release from the client in exchange for waiving the bill.
 

glennhoffmania

a 20 on all 5
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,409,830
NY
Hoplite said:
 
Not if it leads to a lifetime ban and the Yankees getting off the hook for the remainder of his salary.
 
I think they've shown that that's irrelevant.  They're going to buy up players every year they suck regardless of any cap implications.
 

terrisus

formerly: imgran
SoSH Member
Hoplite said:
 
Not if it leads to a lifetime ban and the Yankees getting off the hook for the remainder of his salary.
 
 
glennhoffmania said:
 
I think they've shown that that's irrelevant.  They're going to buy up players every year they suck regardless of any cap implications.
 
Yeah, pretty much. The only reason it would have sucked this year is if it allowed them to get under the luxury cap and reset their tax amount.
 
Since they've shown they have no interest at all in that, it's more enjoyable to be able to mock Rodriguez (and potentially find out about all the stuff he was doing while with the Yankees).
 

EvilEmpire

paying for his sins
Staff member
Dope
Apr 9, 2007
16,562
Washington
Poor ARod.  I'm guessing he got mad when he finally realized that his lawyers knew he had no shot when they were encouraging him to fight the ban and add on all those extra billable hours.
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
20,121
Miami (oh, Miami!)
joe dokes said:
 
ARod's a dick, but anyone could see that and should have planned accordingly.  But the lawyers who are owed the money screwed up, too. (NOT in a malpractice sort of way). *No* lawyer lets a bill like that accrue without getting the client to add to his retainer.  Chasing money is the surest route to getting sued for malpractice. The lawyer could have done the greatest job in history and still lose. The chances of getting stiffed increase exponentially after that. And there are many, many lawyers who will just say fuck it and get a release from the client in exchange for waiving the bill.
 
There's likely a clause in the retainer adding costs, interest and attorney fees to collection actions, possibly stipulating arbitration.  
 
If A-Rod files a malpractice suit, he'll have to prove the usual: duty, breach, causation, damages.  (Depending on the nature of the claim and the jurisdiction, he might even have to prove that but for the breach, he would have prevailed.)  
 
I'm really not sure how he does that based on the litigation we've seen.  Seems like no stone was left unturned by A-Rod's team and he simply lost.  
 

ronlt40

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
1,302
In todays Newsday: http://tinyurl.com/lnqscxk
 
"Major League Baseball ignored repeated warnings that records they sought in the Alex Rodriguez Biogenesis scandal had been stolen and that they were not to purchase them, according to Florida investigators and an April police report obtained by Newsday."
 
 
                                            
 

glennhoffmania

a 20 on all 5
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,409,830
NY
Update!

 
There's little doubt now where the most interesting spring training site will be next year. Alex Rodriguez just clinched that for the Yankees on Friday by dropping his lawsuit against Yankees team doctor Chris Ahmad.
 
Now it has become clear A-Rod will try to come back for the Yankees, and guess what, word is, the Yankees will let him give it a try.
 
"He has full intentions on playing in 2015," A-Rod spokesman Ron Berkowitz said Friday afternoon. (Reached on Thursday, Rodriguez said he is leaving the comments to Berkowitz for now.)
 
 

StuckOnYouk

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 26, 2006
3,448
CT
Oh please, please, please make sure this happens. Please baseball gods. NY deserves this theater. Still can't believe how they got off scott-free this year. In both money and circus. 
 

EvilEmpire

paying for his sins
Staff member
Dope
Apr 9, 2007
16,562
Washington
InsideTheParker said:
If he hits a lot and fields his position well, they will be all forgiveness.
 
I think so.  He will never be celebrated again, but if he comes back and produces, I expect that the initial negative reaction he gets will diminish significantly.  If he comes back and is terrible, the gloves are off.  Its all laundry.
 

glennhoffmania

a 20 on all 5
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,409,830
NY
Awesome
 
 
 
Former (and future?) Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez is set to be sued by one of his lawyers, David Cornwell, over unpaid legal fees, according to a report in the New York Daily News.
 
The details in the report:
 
Veteran sports attorney David Cornwell, who represented Rodriguez in his 2013 Biogenesis doping battle, intends to sue Rodriguez next week for nonpayment of roughly a half-million dollars in legal fees, the Daily News has learned.
 
According to two sources, Cornwell and his Atlanta-based firm, Gordon and Rees LLP, recently notified Major League Baseball and the MLB players union about their plans to file a suit next week in US District Court in the Southern District of New York.
 
 
And since it's A-Rod, there's more to the story and it's quite a twist. Per the Daily News, Rodriguez says he believes he was "ill-served" by his lawyers and got some bad advice. Thus, he has asked for discounts from his crack squad of paid personnel (including "lawyers, private investigators and public relations experts."

And if A-Rod claims he was badly wronged, what if he brings a countersuit for legal malpractice? Well, the plot thickens even further:
 
"If Alex Rodriguez claims he shouldn't have to pay his attorney because the attorney gave him bad advice, it seems likely that a court will allow the attorney to tell the world what Alex was telling him at the time he gave the advice," said Daily News legal analyst Tom Harvey (nydailynews.com). "The Code of Professional Responsibility specifically provides that a lawyer may reveal confidences or secrets necessary to defend against accusation of wrongful conduct."
 
 

bankshot1

Member
SoSH Member
Feb 12, 2003
23,593
where I was last at
terrynever said:
We used to call weird kids "gonads" in our youth. Apparently, A-Rod is a hypogonad.
Now the context:
 
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11168102/alex-rodriguez-given-permission-mlb-use-testosterone-book-says
 
A new book reveals that suspended New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez was granted an exemption by Major League Baseball to use testosterone prior to his 2007 MVP season.
The book, "Blood Sport: Alex Rodriguez, Biogenesis and the Quest to End Baseball's Steroid Era" by Tim Elfrink and Gus Garcia-Roberts, and excerpted by Sports Illustrated, outlines that Rodriguez was granted a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) in order to treat hypogonadism (a testosterone deficiency), a rarity in the sport.
 

jayhoz

Ronald Bartel
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
16,949
Are we sure he didn't just forget that this guy was part of his 3,567 person legal team?
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
20,121
Miami (oh, Miami!)
bankshot1 said:
 
1) Getting involved in a public lawsuit with a former attorney is usually a very bad idea if you have any hidden dirt related to the issue.  It might not come out immediately, depending on the shape the suit takes, but ultimately the attorney can reveal anything related to defending himself or proving his claims.  This includes the client lying to you, changing their story about what happened, you discovering independent evidence and confronting the client with it, etc.   
 
2) FWIW, I recently spoke to a MLB employee (not a club employee).  This person was convinced that ARod juiced from HS onward. There were a number of anecdotes put out there especially about early growth/muscle mass spurts and changes in scouting reports over time.  I can't really narrow him down without giving away who he is.  I suspect whatever came out in the arb hearing was only part of the file MLB has on ARod. 
 

glennhoffmania

a 20 on all 5
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,409,830
NY
What is this crap about quoting an MLB exec and not putting his name?
 
My guess- Joe Torre.
 

Reverend

for king and country
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 20, 2007
57,474
Rovin Romine said:
 
1) Getting involved in a public lawsuit with a former attorney is usually a very bad idea if you have any hidden dirt related to the issue.  It might not come out immediately, depending on the shape the suit takes, but ultimately the attorney can reveal anything related to defending himself or proving his claims.  This includes the client lying to you, changing their story about what happened, you discovering independent evidence and confronting the client with it, etc.   
 
Hiring the best lawyer you can afford and then refusing to pay him while accusing him of misconduct is probably on the list of Things Not To Do somewhere near, "Get into a public confrontation with a clown."
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
20,121
Miami (oh, Miami!)
glennhoffmania said:
What is this crap about quoting an MLB exec and not putting his name?
 
My guess- Joe Torre.
 
Yeah I know it's a pain when people do this.  I'd attribute it but I don't have express permission to.  We were drinking together at a charity event and started talking baseball.  So, chalk it up as a rumorish level of reliability or what-have-you.   I just thought it was interesting enough to pass along. 
 

PaulinMyrBch

Don't touch his dog food
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 10, 2003
8,316
MYRTLE BEACH!!!!
Follow the money right? Cheats to make more. Sues MLB in attempt to reduce his suspension (and maximize what $$ he's due). Won't pay his attorney because they didn't get his "money" back. 
 
I'm still disbelieving he was willing to take less to come to the Sox. Must have been part of a larger money strategy.
 

glennhoffmania

a 20 on all 5
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,409,830
NY
Rovin Romine said:
 
Yeah I know it's a pain when people do this.  I'd attribute it but I don't have express permission to.  We were drinking together at a charity event and started talking baseball.  So, chalk it up as a rumorish level of reliability or what-have-you.   I just thought it was interesting enough to pass along. 
I was kidding because I just did the same thing.
 

JohntheBaptist

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 13, 2005
11,395
Yoknapatawpha County
God, that picture's from that nauseating first photo shoot they did at the Stadium after the trade. Is it me or does it look like he's wearing one of those omnipresent NYC bootleg Yankee hats?
 

glennhoffmania

a 20 on all 5
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 25, 2005
8,409,830
NY
Is this the guy biggest douche ever or what?

 
Fresh off the expiration of his suspension, Alex Rodriguez is again in the news for the wrong reasons. This time around, court documents show he paid his cousin, Yuri Sucart, nearly a million bucks to keep quiet back in 2013 during Major League Baseball's ongoing Biogenesis investigation.
 
Via nydailynews.com, Sucart had demanded $5 million and a "life estate" from Rodriguez, but instead a settlement was reached for a lump sum payment of $700,000 with three more payments bringing the total to $900,000.
 
Sucart is actually now a defendant in the federal case against Biogenesis and its founder, Anthony Bosch, and it sounds like A-Rod is set to testify against his cousin and former personal assistant.
 
 
Link
 

cheekydave

Member
SoSH Member
Jun 11, 2004
3,104
Bohoken
A TRUE YANKEE!!
So guess that Arod was lying again!!!! SURPRISE!!
the Miami Herald reports that A-Rod admitted to PED use to the Drug Enforcement Administration back in January.

"The Herald had access to a 15-page synopsis of A-Rod's meeting with the DEA, and from that they report that Rodriguez admitted to the use of "substances prohibited by Major League Baseball" between late 2010 and October 2012. Rodriguez also explained how Anthony Bosch, the man behind Biogenesis, explained to A-Rod how to beat Baseball's drug tests in order to get away with his use.
For this confession, Rodriguez reportedly received immunity. Obviously, he did not get it from Baseball, but losing a season is superior to having the government chasing after you."
 
http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/5/7160121/alex-rodriguez-peds-steroids-biogenesis
 
 
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/article3578762.html
 

Alex Rodriguez’s DEA confession: Yes, I used steroids from fake Miami doctor

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/article3578762.html#storylink=cpy
 
 

Murderer's Crow

Dragon Wangler 216
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
22,209
Garden City
I'm not surprised nor do I care. I'm happy these stories are coming out now so that by March we can talk about his ability to hit and play defense (or lack thereof).
 

mauidano

Mai Tais for everyone!
SoSH Member
Aug 21, 2006
33,652
Maui
cheekydave said:
 
A TRUE YANKEE!!
So guess that Arod was lying again!!!! SURPRISE!!
the Miami Herald reports that A-Rod admitted to PED use to the Drug Enforcement Administration back in January.

"The Herald had access to a 15-page synopsis of A-Rod's meeting with the DEA, and from that they report that Rodriguez admitted to the use of "substances prohibited by Major League Baseball" between late 2010 and October 2012. Rodriguez also explained how Anthony Bosch, the man behind Biogenesis, explained to A-Rod how to beat Baseball's drug tests in order to get away with his use.
For this confession, Rodriguez reportedly received immunity. Obviously, he did not get it from Baseball, but losing a season is superior to having the government chasing after you."
 
http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/5/7160121/alex-rodriguez-peds-steroids-biogenesis
 
 
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/article3578762.html
 
Alex Rodriguez’s DEA confession: Yes, I used steroids from fake Miami doctor

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/article3578762.html#storylink=cpy
 

 
This is only going to get worse.  :D
 

Sampo Gida

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 7, 2010
5,044
crow216 said:
I'm not surprised nor do I care. I'm happy these stories are coming out now so that by March we can talk about his ability to hit and play defense (or lack thereof).
 
I believe the trial is in February, who knows what comes out of that.  If his cousin really wanted to mess with him he would implicate him in the distribution of steroids to HS kids.  That would likely earn Arod another suspension or worse, this one perhaps for life.  Of course, his cousin would go down as well