Super Bowl Schwag

staz

Intangible
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 2, 2004
14,790
The cradle of the game.
I did the SI deal: Hardcover book, Windbreaker, cheesy commemorative ball for $81 subscription that I cancel as soon as the schwag arrives. Usually get refunded $60 or so. This will be the 9th time doing this since 2002.
 

lanstein

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 21, 2007
164
San Francisco, Southie
TIL SWAG

fivejackace said:
...And the corruption of the English language continues....

Somehow "schwag" (crappy weed) has replaced SWAG (an acronym for Stuff We All Get, meaning giveaways and the like) as the word of choice for hat-and-shirt-game hats and shirts....

Meanwhile, SWAG now means swagger.

If it weren't for Butler I'd be vomiting right now.

I'm gonna go smoke some swagg, I guess.
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
14,563
Signs for today. Not sure if this counts as schwag or not.

https://twitter.com/toucherandrich/status/562901834483118081
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
14,563
( . ) ( . ) and (_!_) said:
Maybe someone here can settle a debate I have been having with some friends. 
 
What does the Patriots Leather Jacket crowd do now?  Buy a new leather jacket with patches for all four superbowls or try to attached a new patch to the existing jacket?
 
Oh god. My coworker used to wear that to the office everyday. It's hideous.

But have no fear they now are selling a wool jacket with leather sleeves that's up to date!

http://www.fanatics.com/NFL_New_England_Patriots_Jackets/New_England_Patriots_Super_Bowl_XLIX_Champions_Wool_Jacket_-_Gray_Navy_Blue
 

TheoShmeo

Skrub's sympathy case
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 19, 2005
12,890
Boston, NY
I'd like to get a copy of the Globe from February 2 and also to have the front page framed.  I would imagine that the Globe sells back issues but is anyone aware of anyone selling framed front pages?
 

RSN Diaspora

molests goats for comedy
SoSH Member
Jul 29, 2005
7,427
Washington, DC
They actually make really nice front page replicas. I got one of the 2004 Sox cover as a gift for my dad. Hopefully they'll do it for this year, because if you try to just frame the actual front page it'll turn yellow.
 

Devizier

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 3, 2000
12,624
Somewhere
fivejackace said:
...And the corruption of the English language continues....

Somehow "schwag" (crappy weed) has replaced SWAG (an acronym for Stuff We All Get, meaning giveaways and the like) as the word of choice for hat-and-shirt-game hats and shirts....

Meanwhile, SWAG now means swagger.
 
This probably goes in with people using "noxious" when they mean "nauseated" and pronouncing "dour" like "sour" in the list of shit that nobody cares about.
 

jsinger121

@jsinger121
SoSH Member
Smiling Joe Hesketh said:
How do the official gray champs shirts fit? Some reviews over at the Dick's site say they run very, very small and to order a size or two larger.
 
It's Nike and they definitely run small. I had to return a BB sweatshirt to the proshop that was a large and go 2 sizes up to a double XL because of Nike. They run small.
 

The Allented Mr Ripley

holden
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Oct 2, 2003
11,987
South Shore, MA
BornToRun said:
Good call. I've finally decided on a blue Revis with a patch (white is a PITA to keep clean) and I'll certainly be getting the DVD. After that a book would be nice.
 
You realize you've just guaranteed he'll sign with some other team now, right?
 

jsinger121

@jsinger121
SoSH Member
drtyh20 said:
Has anybody seen the standard $100 jersey with the super bowl patch in person? I'm trying to figure out if the patch is printed on or a real, stitched patch:
 
http://www.nflshop.com/New_England_Patriots_Jerseys/Mens_New_England_Patriots_Tom_Brady_Nike_Navy_Blue_Super_Bowl_XLIX_Game_Jersey
 
Or, does anybody know where to get the real patch? There's a ton of knock-offs on eBay, but nflshop.com doesn't have much.
 
Its stitched. I saw them at the pro shop last saturday. Not a fan since I'd rather seen them in white which they wore in the Super Bowl.
 

Leather

given himself a skunk spot
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
26,146
jsinger121 said:
 
Its stitched. I saw them at the pro shop last saturday. Not a fan since I'd rather seen them in white which they wore in the Super Bowl.
 
They offer them in white.
 

drtyh20

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 10, 2008
5
jsinger121 said:
 
Its stitched. I saw them at the pro shop last saturday. Not a fan since I'd rather seen them in white which they wore in the Super Bowl.
 
I totally agree. I'm trying to find an Edelman white jersey with the patch, but NFLshop and the Patriots Pro Shop online don't have anything. It's surprisingly hard to find this stuff online.
 

Leather

given himself a skunk spot
SoSH Member
Jul 18, 2005
26,146
I'm hoping the Mall of America sports stores (theres, like, 5) have some stuff.
 

Ed Hillel

Wants to be startin somethin
SoSH Member
Dec 12, 2007
24,696
Here

allstonite

Member
SoSH Member
Oct 27, 2010
1,594
Ed Hillel said:
 
Yes, it's actually the entire last 3 games, likely with WEEI audio, and possibly away audio as well (always delicious). They do edit out some downtime, but usually pretty much every play is in there.  
 
Edit - 98.5, not WEEI. It's been a decade, folks.
 
Thanks! I'll preorder this as well. That sounds amazing. I had already preordered the NFL one along with a Championship T-Shirt and an Edelman jersey I promised anyone listening I'd get if they held on after his TD. 
 

staz

Intangible
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 2, 2004
14,790
The cradle of the game.
RSN Diaspora said:
They actually make really nice front page replicas. I got one of the 2004 Sox cover as a gift for my dad. Hopefully they'll do it for this year, because if you try to just frame the actual front page it'll turn yellow.
Newspapers turn yellow due to high acid content of the paper. Simply spray with acid neutralizer (any craft/art supply shop) and it can't yellow. The first SB win Globe cover I framed is a white as the day it was printed.
 

Jake Peavy's Demons

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 13, 2013
92
Ed Hillel said:
 
Yes, it's actually the entire last 3 games, likely with WEEI audio, and possibly away audio as well (always delicious). They do edit out some downtime, but usually pretty much every play is in there.  
 
Edit - 98.5, not WEEI. It's been a decade, folks.
Does anyone know if this set would also include the NBC & CBS broadcasts?
 

Bone Chips

Member
SoSH Member
Aug 1, 2009
736
South Windsor, CT
saintnick912 said:
NFLShop.com has the white sideline jackets as a special order, listed as "shipping no later than March 10".  They're straight out of stock on Nike.com and going at a premium on eBay.
Can't seem to find a way to order this on nflshop.com. The NFL could screw up a wet dream.
 

Trautwein's Degree

a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 20, 2005
11,595
My Desk
Stuff is still ridiculously hard to find and/or way back ordered. Did Nike, New Era, et al. double down on Seahawks production or something? I've searched for various things online and no dice on anything except those grey locker room shirts. Went to Dicks this weekend. They had one locker room hat, some posters, and a beer stein. 
 

SMU_Sox

loves his fluffykins
SoSH Member
Jul 20, 2009
6,648
Dallas
My parents are awesome. As a surprise they bought me three sweatshirts in red, blue, and gray. My mom asked if, before they give them to me when we all see each other in two weeks, I'd like her to cut the sleeves off to make them look "Belichicky" or leave them intact. One of them will be getting the treatment. She also bought two for my boys. We will be posting a family picture here all decked out. Good start to my Monday! Hi, Mom!
 

Joe D Reid

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2004
3,354
Alameda, CA
Anybody connecting through PHX this week, just about all the bookseller/gift stores in the airport have deeply discounted t-shirts. 
 

steveluck7

Member
SoSH Member
May 10, 2007
3,245
Burrillville, RI
SMU_Sox said:
My parents are awesome. As a surprise they bought me three sweatshirts in red, blue, and gray. My mom asked if, before they give them to me when we all see each other in two weeks, I'd like her to cut the sleeves off to make them look "Belichicky" or leave them intact. One of them will be getting the treatment. She also bought two for my boys. We will be posting a family picture here all decked out. Good start to my Monday! Hi, Mom!
Have her cut the red one... those are jinxed!
 

TomTerrific

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
1,631
Wayland, MA
TheoShmeo said:
I'd like to get a copy of the Globe from February 2 and also to have the front page framed.  I would imagine that the Globe sells back issues but is anyone aware of anyone selling framed front pages?
 
I had frames created from the Globe cover for both the 2004 ALCS and the WS. My advice is to just get the newspaper and bring it yourself to a framing store. I had no trouble finding one in the Boston area so I'm sure NYC must have a bunch.
 
staz said:
Newspapers turn yellow due to high acid content of the paper. Simply spray with acid neutralizer (any craft/art supply shop) and it can't yellow. The first SB win Globe cover I framed is a white as the day it was printed.
 
OK, that answers the question I always had, which was what kept the framed covers I have from yellowing. I always figured it was the glass preventing exposure to UV, but in retrospect newspapers in the closet yellow as well, so it's not clear why I ever believed that.
 

Seabass177

has an efficient neck
SoSH Member
Oct 30, 2004
4,979
Brooklyn
I don't understand why they make conference championship gear. Either they win the Super Bowl and no one wants it, or they lose the Super Bowl and no one wants it.
 
There must be some logic to it, but I can't find any.