Run the picket fence, but don't get caught watching the paint dry: Pacers to wear Hickory unis in 2

koufax32

He'll cry if he wants to...
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2006
8,413
Duval
Very cool imo. I know it was actually the Milan team but this is still phenomenal. If I were a Pacers fan I would absolutely buy one of these. The golden shorts though...not so much.
 

Detts

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 20, 2005
5,165
Greenville, SC
koufax32 said:
Very cool imo. I know it was actually the Milan team but this is still phenomenal. If I were a Pacers fan I would absolutely buy one of these. The golden shorts though...not so much.
 
 

OCST

Sunny von Bulow
SoSH Member
Jan 10, 2004
22,197
The 718
Fuck the Pacers and their attempt to sanctify themselves by wrapping themselves in the aura of small-town Indiana high school hoops.
 
Fuck them and their holier-than-thou we-are-the-defenders -of-heartland-values bullshit.
 
Fuck them and their fans right in the ear.
 
Do I have to remind a board full of Patriots fans about the miserable sanctimony of Indianapolis fans?
 

Spacemans Bong

chapeau rose
SoSH Member
OilCanShotTupac said:
Fuck the Pacers and their attempt to sanctify themselves by wrapping themselves in the aura of small-town Indiana high school hoops.
 
Fuck them and their holier-than-thou we-are-the-defenders -of-heartland-values bullshit.
 
Fuck them and their fans right in the ear.
 
Do I have to remind a board full of Patriots fans about the miserable sanctimony of Indianapolis fans?
 
I didn't think of it as holier than thou, more like a good marketing angle. Haven't the Pacers always kinda struggled for fans, in the sense that they play in a state where basketball is king but are down the totem pole of relevance? I'm not saying they're the Rays, but they aren't the Red Sox in New England either. 
 

HomeRunBaker

bet squelcher
SoSH Member
Jan 15, 2004
25,085
OilCanShotTupac said:
Fuck the Pacers and their attempt to sanctify themselves by wrapping themselves in the aura of small-town Indiana high school hoops.
 
Fuck them and their holier-than-thou we-are-the-defenders -of-heartland-values bullshit.
 
Fuck them and their fans right in the ear.
 
Do I have to remind a board full of Patriots fans about the miserable sanctimony of Indianapolis fans?
If you maintain this attitude you are in for a rude awakening in the coming years with the future of NBA marketing. If you think throwback uniforms are the Pacers selling their soul just you wait until ALL NBA uniforms are covered with $ponsors as this has already began being beta tested in the WNBA. The league rolled out 3 jersey sponsorship deals last season and 3 more this year. One guess who owns and operates the WNBA.......
 

OCST

Sunny von Bulow
SoSH Member
Jan 10, 2004
22,197
The 718
Spacemans Bong said:
 
I didn't think of it as holier than thou, more like a good marketing angle. Haven't the Pacers always kinda struggled for fans, in the sense that they play in a state where basketball is king but are down the totem pole of relevance? I'm not saying they're the Rays, but they aren't the Red Sox in New England either. 
 
There's an excellent 30 for 30 on the great Knicks-Pacers playoff series in '95.  http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=winning-time-reggie-miller-vs.-the-new-york-knicks
 
I remember that series vividly- NYC was nuts over that Knicks team.  I was sitting on my living room couch in Queens and watching when Reggie Miller scored 8 points in 9 seconds.  In real time, is still one of the most jaw-dropping things I have seen.
 
That 30 for 30 does a great job of showing how the Knicks-Pacers rivalry was fueled (on the Indy end) by the determination of the Pacers organization and fans to show that the Indiana flavor of basketball (small-town, high-school, sepia-toned shots of a teenager practicing jumpers in a hoop nailed to the barn,with violins swelling, etc).  was superior to the NYC brand (showy, "urban").
 
It's the same snobbery that gives us the evil horseshit about the St. Louis Cardinals playing ball the "right" way and having the "best" fans.
 
Fuck that, and fuck them.
 

OCST

Sunny von Bulow
SoSH Member
Jan 10, 2004
22,197
The 718
HomeRunBaker said:
If you maintain this attitude you are in for a rude awakening in the coming years with the future of NBA marketing. If you think throwback uniforms are the Pacers selling their soul just you wait until ALL NBA uniforms are covered with $ponsors as this has already began being beta tested in the WNBA. The league rolled out 3 jersey sponsorship deals last season and 3 more this year. One guess who owns and operates the WNBA.......
 
Marketing I get.  Marketing is fine.
 
It's that which is being marketed that is detestable.
 
Frankly I'd rather have Coke or Bud logos on a uniform.  
 

LeoCarrillo

Do his bits at your peril.
SoSH Member
Oct 13, 2008
7,984
New York City
I dare them to go back to this gloriously awful (or awfully glorious) P logo. It's so incredibly perfect and corny simultaneously.
 

Also, can you imagine the dilemma in the marketing board room over what color to make the arm? White and they're racists. Black and they're stereotyping.
 

Mugsy's Jock

Eli apologist
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Dec 28, 2000
14,148
UWS, NYC
HomeRunBaker said:
If you maintain this attitude you are in for a rude awakening in the coming years with the future of NBA marketing. If you think throwback uniforms are the Pacers selling their soul just you wait until ALL NBA uniforms are covered with $ponsors as this has already began being beta tested in the WNBA. The league rolled out 3 jersey sponsorship deals last season and 3 more this year. One guess who owns and operates the WNBA.......
Can we see the Knicks in Globetrotters uniforms?  Please?
 

John Marzano Olympic Hero

has fancy plans, and pants to match
Dope
Apr 12, 2001
21,993
LeoCarrillo said:
I dare them to go back to this gloriously awful (or awfully glorious) P logo. It's so incredibly perfect and corny simultaneously.
 

Also, can you imagine the dilemma in the marketing board room over what color to make the arm? White and they're racists. Black and they're stereotyping.
 
Only three fingers and a thumb too. 
 
When I was a kid I never understood why that hand was palming a tennis ball. 
 

Manramsclan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
3,178
No love for the thread title?
 
Let me be the first to say, "Bravo, sir."
 
I also think it's really fucking cool.