Report: A-Rod banned through 2014?

gtg807y

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 31, 2006
3,185
Atlanta, GA
Doc Zero said:
On the one hand I don't want New York so much as sniffing the post season.
 
On the other hand it would be so rich if A-Rod started carrying this club for the length of his appeal.
 
As would I, and I'm just assuming (without much basis really) that the appeals process will be completed quickly enough that he doesn't end up playing all that much.
 

Lars The Wanderer

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
3,833
San Francisco
YouLookAdopted said:
Can't wait to hear John Sterling's home run call for ARod.

Also, he's only 13 away from Willy Mays and will get a $6 million bonus when he gets there. Please let this appeal drag out.
 
It's "Willie", you cretin! =p
 

EllisTheRimMan

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 6, 2007
4,560
Csmbridge
Doc Zero said:
On the one hand I don't want New York so much as sniffing the post season.
 
On the other hand it would be so rich if A-Rod started carrying this club for the length of his appeal.
 
I'll ask again... Does anyone think the MFY are going to play him during an appeal?  I'd be shocked if they did.  There was discussion about brand destruction concerns a few pages back. 
 
Now that's it clear he's dirty and every other player has accepted their punishment, I just can't see Girardi saying, "OK A-Roid, you're batting cleanup and playing 3rd tonight."
 

Doctor G

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 24, 2007
2,331
MLB only has one appeal to hear. I just hope the Rod gets to play at home at least once before the ax falls.
Then again he wouldn't  be the first heavyweight to take a dive in Chicago, if he doesn't want to face the music in the Bronx.
 

SaveBooFerriss

twenty foreskins
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Feb 9, 2001
6,179
Robin' it
Doc Zero said:
On the one hand I don't want New York so much as sniffing the post season.
 
On the other hand it would be so rich if A-Rod started carrying this club for the length of his appeal.
 
Yes, if he hits 35 HR down the stretch, Hank will write up his contract and give him a new 10 year $275M contract and tell his lackey, Selig, to drop the suspension.  
 

E5 Yaz

polka king
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
91,441
Oregon
EllisTheRimMan said:
 
Wow, just wow!  More reason to despise that franchise.  
 
If the cleats were on the other foot, and Papi were to appeal, I'd expect the Red Sox to play him as well
 

smastroyin

simpering whimperer
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 31, 2002
20,684
What are the choices?   Play with 24 men?  Release him so that you have to pay his entire contract even if he ends up on another team?  
 
The appeal process is in place for a reason.  When it just happens to benefit guys we don't like or that we thinks are big meany cheaters it doesn't mean that the appeal process should be ignored to satisfy the witch hunt.  In this case, if he appeals, he has every right to be on a major league roster assuming he is healthy.  I suppose you could argue that they should just continually make up injuries for him but he also has rights and can dispute those.  
 

Smiling Joe Hesketh

Throw Momma From the Train
Moderator
SoSH Member
May 20, 2003
36,188
Deep inside Muppet Labs
EllisTheRimMan said:
 
Wow, just wow!  More reason to despise that franchise.  also, Denny McClain should go suck a crack pipe.
 
Why shouldn't they play him? They need offense, and if he appeals he's still under the CBA's rules....I dunno, if they prevented him from playing he'd have a legit gripe and could protest via the MLBPA.
 

NortheasternPJ

Member
SoSH Member
Nov 16, 2004
19,621
Lose Remerswaal said:
I was hoping he'd hit 6 HR tonight and get the $$, then be suspended.
 
And the NYY lose 19-6
 
Even better, trip over home and have a "career ending injury" where he still is required to get paid the rest of his contract.
 

Doc Zero

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 6, 2007
12,435
Smiling Joe Hesketh said:
 
Why shouldn't they play him? They need offense, and if he appeals he's still under the CBA's rules....I dunno, if they prevented him from playing he'd have a legit gripe and could protest via the MLBPA.
 
Exactly.  There's no incentive for Girardi/the organization to grandstand or to be cute about this.  Play him until he can't play anymore and move on.  I wouldn't understand them handling it any other way.
 

Murderer's Crow

Dragon Wangler 216
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
23,859
Garden City
E5 Yaz said:
 
That's why I made the distinction. But I understand why you would be confused
 
Your distinction wasn't clear, so stop being a dick. If your goal is follow me around threads and sarcastically remark every time I post, take it to PM and stop being annoying.
 

Ed Hillel

Wants to be startin somethin
SoSH Member
Dec 12, 2007
45,595
Here
The reaction for ARod tonight should be classic. I hope he tips his cap.
 

mauidano

Mai Tais for everyone!
SoSH Member
Aug 21, 2006
36,346
Maui
Rovin Romine said:
 
How strange. . .
Still dealing.  He will definitely be in the lineup at the very least until then.  What a circus this is going to be tonight!  Can't wait!  Rubbing hands together....
 

E5 Yaz

polka king
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
91,441
Oregon
crow216 said:
 
Your distinction wasn't clear, so stop being a dick. If your goal is follow me around threads and sarcastically remark every time I post, take it to PM and stop being annoying.
 
Now I'm confused
 

EllisTheRimMan

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 6, 2007
4,560
Csmbridge
E5 Yaz said:
 
If the cleats were on the other foot, and Papi were to appeal, I'd expect the Red Sox to play him as well
 
I still wouldn't like it and I certainly wouldn't defend it.  Hell, I'd aggressively criticize the decision if the cleats were on the other foot.
 
SJH makes a good point... the repercussions from actively preventing him from playing could help his case.  I still stand by my Denny McClain statement, however.  Case in point are the Tigers who had to give up a top prospect to fill Peralta's position.  I guess if more players were appealing, A-ROID's stance and the MFY's decision to let him play wouldn't have as foul a stench.
 

Smiling Joe Hesketh

Throw Momma From the Train
Moderator
SoSH Member
May 20, 2003
36,188
Deep inside Muppet Labs
EllisTheRimMan said:
 
I still wouldn't like it and I certainly wouldn't defend it.  Hell, I'd aggressively criticize the decision if the cleats were on the other foot.
 
SJH makes a good point... the repercussions from actively preventing him from playing could help his case.  I still stand by my Denny McClain statement, however.  Case in point are the Tigers who had to give up a top prospect to fill Peralta's position.  I guess if more players were appealing, A-ROID's stance and the MFY's decision to let him play wouldn't have as foul a stench.
 
There's no stench involved. The Tigers made a choice to give up a prospect to fill their SS hole. BTW Peralta not appealing now means he can play in the postseason, which certainly helps his team. ARod playing now may help his team make the postseason. In both cases the player's action is the one that happens to benefit the team most.
 
If this wasn't ARod and the Yankees you wouldn't have a problem with it. Take away the specifics of the player and team and you'll see there's nothing wrong here. Any player who's appealing can play until his appeal is heard. Arod is no different.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
54,457
EllisTheRimMan said:
 
Will Girardi play him, will Cashman or the ownership team let him?  They may have pay him but they don't have to play him.
 
Girardi said that if he's there, he'll play.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
54,457
EllisTheRimMan said:
 
I'll ask again... Does anyone think the MFY are going to play him during an appeal?  I'd be shocked if they did.
 
So they'll be carrying him as a dead roster spot at a position that's absolutely sucked for them this year?
 

rembrat

Member
SoSH Member
May 26, 2006
36,345
The only thing ruining this for me is that George isn't alive to add to the shitstorm. I'm talking about Vintage George here.
 

EllisTheRimMan

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 6, 2007
4,560
Csmbridge
Smiling Joe Hesketh said:
If this wasn't ARod and the Yankees you wouldn't have a problem with it. Take away the specifics of the player and team and you'll see there's nothing wrong here.
 
I'll need to vehemently disagree.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
54,457
Rovin Romine said:
 
If Jeter's down with the calf problem, they could plug A-Rod in at SS. . .
 
And he'd have more range than a healthy Jeter.
 

EllisTheRimMan

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 6, 2007
4,560
Csmbridge
Smiling Joe Hesketh said:
 
Well...bully for you. You're wrong, though, any player can play until his appeal is heard. That's the CBA and them's the rules.
 
Disagree with your reading my mind (i.e. "you wouldn't have a problem with it")
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
54,457
EllisTheRimMan said:
 
Disagree with your reading my mind (i.e. "you wouldn't have a problem with it")
 
Does this only apply to PED suspensions? Or other kind of suspensions?
 
I ask because a guy getting a 5 game suspension for something appeals, and they're generally not heard until the team is in the NY area. If that's more than 5 games out, what is a team to do? Not play him for the next 10 games while appealing a 5 game suspension?
 

Sprowl

mikey lowell of the sandbox
Dope
SoSH Member
Jun 27, 2006
34,948
Haiku
E5 Yaz said:
@freeptigers: Denny McLain: Jhonny Peralta 'selfish' for not appealing suspension
 
:lol:
 
Jhonny just wants to see Iggy play his true position, like the rest of us.
 
Rovin Romine said:
 
How strange. . .
 
It would certainly improve ratings for the next few Yankee games. :blink:
 

Murderer's Crow

Dragon Wangler 216
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
23,859
Garden City
If Arod is unsuccessful in his appeal and winds up playing out the rest of the year, that means he would be suspended during the 2015 season.
 
My question is whether a player gets paid during an appeal or not. If not, there stands to be a 1.1m gain for Arod to be suspended during 2015 than 2013. (28m salary vs 21m @ 49 games)
 

EllisTheRimMan

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 6, 2007
4,560
Csmbridge
DrewDawg said:
 
Does this only apply to PED suspensions? Or other kind of suspensions?
 
This particular bombshell PED/Biogenesis case where every other player accepted their suspension and moved on.  To be clear, I'm glad it is causing the MFY and their fans incredible embarrassment and angst.  I just don't like the exceptionalism on display here by the MFY and A-Rod... and it is bad for the game.  If he passes Mays during this fiasco, it is bad for baseball and I love baseball.
 

scottyno

late Bloomer
SoSH Member
Dec 7, 2008
11,431
Harry Hooper said:
 
USA Today's Nightengale was on WEEI and said that's how the Rangers feel about Nelson Cruz.
on mlb network they just reported that the rangers were told (not sure by who) he was going to appeal which was why they didn't make a move at the deadline like the tigers did
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
25,669
Miami (oh, Miami!)
Harry Hooper said:
 
USA Today's Nightengale was on WEEI and said that's how the Rangers feel about Nelson Cruz.
 
That's about a half step away from just arguing the weaker players on your roster should roid up.  How selfish that they choose not to.
 
(Edit - in light of Scottyno's comment that makes more sense.  Still, if he's admitting to something he did, that kind of behavior should be encouraged.)
 

Smiling Joe Hesketh

Throw Momma From the Train
Moderator
SoSH Member
May 20, 2003
36,188
Deep inside Muppet Labs
EllisTheRimMan said:
 
This particular bombshell PED/Biogenesis case where every other player accepted their suspension and moved on.  To be clear, I'm glad it is causing the MFY and their fans incredible embarrassment and angst.  I just don't like the exceptionalism on display here by the MFY and A-Rod... and it is bad for the game.  If he passes Mays during this fiasco, it is bad for baseball and I love baseball.
 
You're crazy. Every player has the right to determine his best course of action here. What exceptionalism? That a player is appealing the process, as CLEARLY laid out by the rules established by both sides? I hate ARod and the Yankees too, but I can't find a damn thing wrong with what he's doing here.
 

E5 Yaz

polka king
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
91,441
Oregon
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
The Taylor Hooton Foundation has issued a statement saying they are cutting ties with Alex Rodriguez.