Report: A-Rod banned through 2014?

opes

Doctor Tongue
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
BNightengale3m
The #Phillies Bastardo and #Mets Valdespin also accepting 50-game ban, per @Ken_Rosenthal
 
 
--------------------------------------------
Here was the original list, so we can see who they added.
 
Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
Nelson Cruz, Texas Rangers
Jhonny Peralta, Detroit Tigers
Bartolo Colon, Oakland A's (he's already served a 50-game suspension)
Francisco Cervelli, New York Yankees
Fernando Martinez, New York Yankees
Melky Cabrera, Toronto Blue Jays (he's already served a 50-game suspension)
Everth Cabrera, San Diego Padres
Yasmani Grandal, San Diego Padres (he's already served a 50-game suspension)
Jesus Montero, Seattle Mariners
Cesar Puello, NY Mets
Jordan Noberto (free agent)
Fautino de los Santos (free agent)
 
Possible:
Gio Gonzalez - P Washington Nationals
Robinson Cano - 2B NY Yankees
 
**Ryan Braun- accepted 65 games.
 

Greg29fan

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
20,542
NC
The most amazing thing about this whole ordeal is Fat Bart not getting suspended again.
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
54,617
rembrat said:
Amazing that there are no Red Sox... so far.
 
There's rumored to be 15 suspensions and there are 30 teams. Not really all that amazing...
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
34,747
Greg29fan said:
The most amazing thing about this whole ordeal is Fat Bart not getting suspended again.
 
Does the same apply to Manny, or might he be up for another round of discipline?
 

E5 Yaz

polka king
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
91,919
Oregon
Greg29fan said:
The most amazing thing about this whole ordeal is Fat Bart not getting suspended again.
 
He was already suspended for Biogenesis involvement
 

FenwayFrenzy

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 16, 2005
2,147
Everywhere
DrewDawg said:
 
There's rumored to be 15 suspensions and there are 30 teams. Not really all that amazing...
Of the 14 that are being suspended, six are current or former Yankees.   I realize this is being discussed in another thread, but it's really eye opening.
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
25,961
Miami (oh, Miami!)
Hmm. 
 
It occurs to me that once the suspension is accepted, MLB has no leverage to get any of these players to testify against A-Rod.   Presumably all that has already been worked out. 
 
It's actually remarkable that more hasn't been leaked about the investigation, MLB's theories on what A-Rod did, etc.
 

uncannymanny

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 12, 2007
9,262
I keep seeing things in this thread and elsewhere about "when we know what evidence MLB has." Are people really thinking MLB is going to release documents and other evidence? I have an extremely hard time believing, outside of leaks (which have to this point been very minimal), that the public will see any of this information.
 

86spike

Currently enjoying "Arli$$"
SoSH Member
Apr 17, 2002
25,082
Procrasti Nation
uncannymanny said:
I keep seeing things in this thread and elsewhere about "when we know what evidence MLB has." Are people really thinking MLB is going to release documents and other evidence? I have an extremely hard time believing, outside of leaks (which have to this point been very minimal), that the public will see any of this information.
Right.

We won't even get a formal announcement from MLB on Arod's punishment or the accusations against him until after the appeal.

The public is not supposed to know about these things until a player either agrees to the punishment or the appeal is done.
 

Rovin Romine

Johnny Rico
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jul 14, 2005
25,961
Miami (oh, Miami!)
uncannymanny said:
I keep seeing things in this thread and elsewhere about "when we know what evidence MLB has." Are people really thinking MLB is going to release documents and other evidence? I have an extremely hard time believing, outside of leaks (which have to this point been very minimal), that the public will see any of this information.
 
86spike said:
Right.

We won't even get a formal announcement from MLB on Arod's punishment or the accusations against him until after the appeal.

The public is not supposed to know about these things until a player either agrees to the punishment or the appeal is done.
 
I think he gets tarred in the court of public opinion before the arb process is over.  But then again I'm cynical that way. 
 
Certainly MLB can talk about the suspensions that have already happened, so perhaps that's an avenue for making some of this info public.
 
What do you think A-Rod's reception is going to be like tonight when he suits up?
 

jon abbey

Shanghai Warrior
Moderator
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
72,680
Rovin Romine said:
 
 
I think he gets tarred in the court of public opinion before the arb process is over.  But then again I'm cynical that way. 
 
Certainly MLB can talk about the suspensions that have already happened, so perhaps that's an avenue for making some of this info public.
 
What do you think A-Rod's reception is going to be like tonight when he suits up?
 
Today's NY Post may give you an idea (front page of the whole paper, not just the sports section):

 

Dogman

Yukon Cornelius
Moderator
SoSH Member
Mar 19, 2004
15,247
Missoula, MT
Would you say that is the general consensus, Jon, about Yankee fan's feeling regarding A-Rod or is this over the top hyperbole?
 

E5 Yaz

polka king
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
91,919
Oregon
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
T.J. Quinn reports that despite late effort by union to deal for A-Rod, MLB intends to formally suspend him at 3 pm through 2014 season.
 
 
Jeebus, even the union wants him to cut a deal. What a mess
 

Lars The Wanderer

Member
SoSH Member
Jul 15, 2005
3,833
San Francisco
What the reaction will be tonight - on the road - isn't going to be a surprise to anyone. We all know what the reaction is going to be.
 
The really interesting thing will be how the fans react when he is back in Yankee Stadium; especially after he hits a home run.
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
34,747
An interesting question is whether MLB in the past few years had leads/knowledge about players being involved with similar setups such as Biogenesis, yet didn't pursue them in the absence of positive testing results. Team Rodriguez will no doubt be pushing on this if it exists.
 

E5 Yaz

polka king
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
91,919
Oregon
I have never been an advocate for this under any circumstance, but if the situation presents itself, I hope Quintana buries the first pitch in ARod's ribs
 

mauf

Anderson Cooper × Mr. Rogers
Moderator
SoSH Member
Jun 22, 2008
36,541
E5 Yaz said:
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
T.J. Quinn reports that despite late effort by union to deal for A-Rod, MLB intends to formally suspend him at 3 pm through 2014 season.
 
 
Jeebus, even the union wants him to cut a deal. What a mess
 
That's not how I read that tweet. 
 
I believe the grievance and arbitration process plays out between MLB and the union -- the affected players and clubs are technically not parties. I suspect the need for union acquiescence is the reason that Selig has been so willing to give credit for time served, if you will, to players who have already been suspended for a positive test -- that concession makes the union more willing to agree to 50-game bans for the other players, even though the evidence of use is not as direct as a positive drug test.
 
Olney's tweet might mean what you think, but I think it's more likely that the Commissioner's office and the union have reached an impasse on A*Rod, or that MLB isn't willing to defer its announcement any longer.
 

bosox188

Member
SoSH Member
Jan 11, 2008
3,035
Marlborough, MA
I don't see why the MLB seems to want so much attention on the A-rod situation that they are announcing his suspension separately from the others.
 

Harry Hooper

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Jan 4, 2002
34,747
bosox188 said:
I don't see why the MLB seems to want so much attention on the A-rod situation that they are announcing his suspension separately from the others.
 
There hasn't been any offiicial MLB announcement on any player's suspension yet (except Braun).
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
54,617
bosox188 said:
I don't see why the MLB seems to want so much attention on the A-rod situation that they are announcing his suspension separately from the others.
 
They actually haven't "announced" any of them.
 

YouLookAdopted

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 8, 2005
1,384
California
Can't wait to hear John Sterling's home run call for ARod.

Also, he's only 13 away from Willy Mays and will get a $6 million bonus when he gets there. Please let this appeal drag out.
 

rembrat

Member
SoSH Member
May 26, 2006
36,345
Really confused based on the last posts in this topic. Why do you guys have him playing today?
 

E5 Yaz

polka king
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
91,919
Oregon
rembrat said:
Really confused based on the last posts in this topic. Why do you guys have him playing today?
 
He can appeal a suspension if it's only PED based. If it's "best interests of baseball," that's another matter
 

DJnVa

Dorito Dawg
SoSH Member
Dec 16, 2010
54,617
rembrat said:
Really confused based on the last posts in this topic. Why do you guys have him playing today?
 
Because he will appeal. That's what all this back and forth has been about the last few weeks.
 

rembrat

Member
SoSH Member
May 26, 2006
36,345
E5 Yaz said:
 
He can appeal a suspension if it's only PED based. If it's "best interests of baseball," that's another matter
 
Got it thanks. Jesus that's going to be brutal. The Rod plays shitty baseball under regular pressure of being Alex Rodriguez, I can't image how he fares under the ROIDS spotlight.
 

EllisTheRimMan

Member
SoSH Member
Mar 6, 2007
4,560
Csmbridge
DrewDawg said:
 
Because he will appeal. That's what all this back and forth has been about the last few weeks.
 
Will Girardi play him, will Cashman or the ownership team let him?  They may have pay him but they don't have to play him.
 

JimBoSox9

will you be my friend?
SoSH Member
Nov 1, 2005
16,684
Mid-surburbia
E5 Yaz said:
I have never been an advocate for this under any circumstance, but if the situation presents itself, I hope Quintana buries the first pitch in ARod's ribs
 
Congratulations on removing the stick from your ass.  Never let it be said no good came from the A-Roid Affair.
 
/gamethread
 

E5 Yaz

polka king
Lifetime Member
SoSH Member
Apr 25, 2002
91,919
Oregon
crow216 said:
 
He can appeal either way. He just can't play if it's the latter.
 
That's why I made the distinction. But I understand why you would be confused
 

Doc Zero

Member
SoSH Member
Dec 6, 2007
12,435
On the one hand I don't want New York so much as sniffing the post season.
 
On the other hand it would be so rich if A-Rod started carrying this club for the length of his appeal.